From SpinetiX Support Wiki
- 1 The N°1 digital signage software
- 2 Major features
- 3 User editions
- 4 Versions
- 5 Licensing
- 6 System requirements
- 7 External components
- 8 Troubleshooting
The N°1 digital signage software
Elementi is a commercial software application from SpinetiX that simplifies the creation of digital signage content and its deployment on SpinetiX Hyper Media Players, allowing you to achieve professional results quicker than ever.
Elementi lets you create high impact projects - including video walls, interactive kiosks and live streaming video - and deliver visually rich experience to virtually any combination of screens across all your networks. You are always a click away from previewing your digital signage project in full screen and from publishing it directly on all your HMPs. All player models are supported!
Elementi comes in 20 languages and with 250+ professional and secure widgets that automatically bring data from your everyday tools to the screen, drastically reducing content production costs.
Elementi works in parallel with the built-in web interface of HMP300 and HMP350. This enables you to seamlessly delegate content creation between external agencies and your own creative team. You can quickly add and authorize user roles on the web interface allowing your team to schedule content prepared externally in Elementi, as well as to quickly design and add their own content, using nothing but the interface.
The major features of Elementi are summarized below and more and more features are added with every new version release. Furthermore, each Elementi version comes in three different editions (Elementi S, Elementi M, and Elementi X), each offering features specially tailored for different groups of users.
- Intuitive graphical user interface
- Content creation
- Elementi facilitates creating digital signage content through layouts and playlists, which are populated with resources from Elementi Library or imported by the user, custom fonts, remote resources etc.
- Elementi also makes it easy to create complex digital signage content, like interactive content or multiscreen content.
- Content editing
- Within Elementi, simply drag & drop to add, remove, position or order layers, and use layers' timelines to control their starting and ending time. Fine-tune the content by changing the properties of layers, adding special formatting & effects, setting transition effects between playlist's items etc.
- Content scheduling
- Control with minute-accuracy when a certain media is to be displayed, even years from the current moment, using simple drag & drop actions within the Calendar panel. Go even further with advanced recurring rules, event priority and timezone, to schedule content even years from the current moment.
- Elementi optimized publishing process simplifies the deployment of digital signage content onto any number of target devices, saves bandwidth due to smart negotiation with the HMP and stores the list of target devices per project for future publishes.
- Starting with Elementi 2018, secured publishing using TLS-SRP is activated by default for HMP350 and HMP300 devices discovered automatically.
- Management of devices
Elementi software comes in three user editions: Elementi S, Elementi M, and Elementi X, each being specialized for a certain type of usage (single site, multi site, custom), and with an increasing set of features comparing to the starter edition - for more details, see the comparison of the three Elementi user editions on the SpinetiX site.
- The same executable file can be used to install any of the three Elementi user editions - based on the Elementi license activated for that user, some of the software features are enabled / disabled.
- Elementi X and Elementi M users can test the lower edition(s) by starting Elementi from command line / Run utility and adding " -M" or " -S" at the end, like this: >
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SpinetiX\Elementi\bin\elementi.exe" -S
Elementi S (Single Site) has everything you need to create high-impact content for HMP devices. It is perfect for small single-site installations: restaurants, showrooms, small offices, informational kiosks etc.
Elementi S includes the following features:
- Intuitive interface to build digital signage content;
- Editing and publishing tools;
- Formatting, effects and transitions;
- Full screen preview mode;
- Management of a maximum of 10 devices.
Elementi M (Multi Site) offers solutions to larger, collaborative environments where different users might have different responsibilities. It is perfect for multi-site installations: hotels, conference centers, museums, academical centers, stadiums, sport arenas etc.
Elementi M includes the following features, in addition to the ones of Elementi S:
- Management of unlimited number of players.
- Publish content to network locations / web servers.
- Assets repository for managing personal or team-shared resources.
- Control of publishing user rights.
- Control of editing user rights.
- Creation of content to be used with limited editing rights.
Elementi X (eXpert edition) offers extra features & tools for those wanting to differentiate themselves and looking to monetize their skills for the above mentioned installations. It is perfect for integrators (content creators, developers) who wish to develop and sell content for end-users.
Elementi X includes the following features, in addition to the ones of Elementi M:
- Advanced data feed widgets included into the widget library.
- Advanced data parsers (XML, JSON) and more options to further transform the resulted information.
- Creation of Fusion Style Packs, including Fusion Skins and Fusion Templates.
- Developer Console offering advanced developing tools: JS debugger, call stack, DOM viewer etc.
Since its market introduction in April 2013, Elementi has continually evolved over the years - the major improvements added within each generation are summarized below, for more details, see Elementi release notes page. Usually a new generation is released every year, with one or more minor releases (i.e. mainly bug fixes) in between.
The Elementi Update Plan allows you to activate every new version as soon as it is released. It champions 4 important benefits: always-up-to-date software, maximum security with the latest security patches, best in class support in your language, and unlimited flexibility to get started whenever you like via a streamlined online purchase.
- Only one version of Elementi can be present on a PC - it is recommended to have the latest one, of course.
- Updating to the last version is free of charges when the associated Elementi Update Plan is valid.
- Each version requires a minimum firmware version on the HMP devices - see Software / firmware compatibility table for more details.
With Elementi 2018, you have even more opportunities to put data-driven signage at the core of your digital communication. Media, calendars, spreadsheets, social feeds... Elementi 2018 allows you to connect even more data from your everyday tools and securely bring engaging content on display.
Elementi 2018 ("Picco Luigi Amedeo") is the sixth generation of the Elementi software; its latest version, Elementi 4.3.1, was released on August 7, 2018.
- New Yammer widgets to connect to Microsoft Yammer data.
- New Excel chart widget and new SharePoint Online List data source for spreadsheet widgets.
- New Google Drive channel for media files widgets.
- New interactive widgets: Feedback, Menu Horizontal, Menu Vertical.
- New player discovery mechanism based on UPnP.
Elementi 2017 ("Dufourspitze") is the fifth generation of the Elementi software; its latest version, Elementi 4.2.3, was released on 7 Dec. 2017.
- New Instagram and Facebook widgets to connect to social networks.
- New Excel Online, Outlook Online, OneDrive channels to connect to Microsoft Online services.
- New Facebook Album channel as media source and Facebook Calendar channel as calendar source.
- New QR code widgets to display QR Codes for url, phone or contact information
- New Animated playlist widgets using Ken Burns effect for Instagram, Flickr, and Media files widgets
- New blue-pack spreadsheet widgets to display menus, price list, way finding, and opening hours.
- New blue-pack calendar widgets to display weekly, monthly or custom events.
Elementi 2016 ("Grandes Jorasses") is the fourth generation of the Elementi software; its major version, Elementi 4.1.0, was released on 15 Sep 2016, and two minor releases followed afterwards.
- New Twitter and Flickr widgets to connect to social networks.
- New Finance widgets to display financial data such as exchange rate, market data.
- New Weather widgets to display weather conditions and forecast.
- New Date widgets to display the current date in different calendars (Gregorian, Chinese, Hebrew, Indian, Islamic, Japanese etc.).
- Re-design of data-driven widgets with support for authenticated channels, 3rd party services (such as Yahoo, Google, Twitter, and Flickr), and data import from Excel.
- New Noto fonts included within the built-in fonts in order to support all languages with a harmonious look and feel..
- New set of sample projects.
- Improved internationalization features for date/time and numbers formatting.
Elementi 2015 ("Gran Paradiso") is the third generation of the Elementi software; its major version, Elementi 4.0.0, was released on 17 Aug 2015, and was followed by two minor releases (4.0.1 on 26 Feb 2016 and 4.0.2 on 27 May 2016).
- Support for the new HMP300 and HMP350 player models. See also the Software / firmware compatibility table.
- New video decoding, audio, and streaming engines.
- Integrated transcoding of media files that are out of specs or use a not recommended codec / container.
- Support for Web Page layers.
- Redesigned the multiscreen content management. Added support for import and display of very large images and splitting and re-encoding of 4K+ video files at the optimal resolution, and support for using data feed widgets within multiscreen projects.
- Elementi 2015 Library was refreshed to provide a better user experience. New widgets were added: text crawler widgets, astronomy widgets for sun & moon phases, specialized data feed widgets (for RSS, Text, Spreadsheets, Calendars, Media).
- Added new translation languages into Elementi: Dutch, Indonesian, and Norwegian.
Elementi 3.1.x ("Grand Combin") is the second generation of the Elementi software; its major version, Elementi 3.1.0, was released on 13 Oct 2014, and was followed by a minor release (3.1.1) on 4 Dec 2014.
- Improved user interface: preview zoom in/out, credentials management, new layer properties, automatic license revalidation etc.
- Added a lot of new widgets - chart, gauge, time counter, text effects widgets.
- Added configurable caching time to data feed widgets. The ICS parser now returns all the properties of the calendar events.
- Added more types of Publish Locations and the automatic generation of the XML repository descriptor file needed by Pull Mode.
- Shared Variables framework has been merged within the
Elementi 3.0.x ("Monte Rosa") is the first generation of the Elementi software, designed to replace the previous digital signage software, called Hyper Media Director. The major version, Elementi 3.0.0, was released on 17 Apr 2013 and six other minor releases (3.0.1 - 3.0.6) followed afterwards, the last being released on 9 Jul 2014.
See full article on Elementi license.
SpinetiX uses a node-locked licensing model with a centralized license server that provides activation codes to computers running Elementi. An Elementi license can be assigned to a single computer / virtual machine at any given time and is tightly bonded to the hardware profile of the PC running Elementi. To be able to migrate the license onto another computer, you must first release the license from the current computer.
Elementi software can be evaluated as a free trial for 30 days - during the trial period, all the features of Elementi S are available, so you could consciously decide if you want to purchase an Elementi license at the end of the trial. This is a one-time, time-limited evaluation - at the end of the evaluation period, you need to activate a commercial Elementi license (S, M, or X) in order to keep using Elementi on that computer.
- It is highly recommended to register the Elementi license under your Cockpit account to be able to release the license from a PC in emergency cases, to extend the Update Plan associated with the licence, and for easier tracking and reference.
- Elementi can be used under any account present on that computer, each user having its "private" instance of Elementi.
The specifications required to run Elementi depend heavily on the projects you are going to create; for instance, if your PC is not capable of playing multiple videos independently, a project containing multiple concurrent videos might not render smoothly within Elementi either.
Here is the minimum hardware you’ll need to run Elementi on your PC:
- The following Windows PC operating systems are supported: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 with SP1 or later, Vista with SP1 or later.
- Windows XP is no longer supported starting with Elementi 2016.
- Windows Server OS can be used, but are not officially supported because a server computer usually has limited graphics / poor DirectX support, lack of audio / video support etc. and Elementi would work in a non-optimal way in that case.
- Virtual machines may be used, but are not recommended because of performance reasons, especially when working with video content. Also, changes in the VM's hardware profile may invalidate the license activation, as that is tightly bounded to the hardware profile.
- Not supported:
- A 32-bit or 64-bit processor processor supporting the SSE2 instructions set - for instance Intel processors: Core i7, Xeon, Pentium Dual-Core, Pentium D, Pentium 4 etc., or AMD processors like Phenom, Opteron, Athlon 64 etc. Although a 32-bit application, Elementi runs on 64-bit processors as well.
- 4 GB or more of RAM.
Hard disk space:
- Minimum 200 MB of hard drive space for installing the application; more space will be needed later to store the content.
- Graphic card with support for DirectX 9.0c or later, and resolutions above 1024x768.
At the end of the Elementi installation, two additional programs from Apple Inc. are proposed for installation: Apple Software Update and Bonjour 3.0. These programs are installed as part of Elementi and their installation cannot be skipped, nor the programs removed afterwards. Otherwise Elementi will not going to work properly.
If needed, you can disable the Bonjour Service afterwards (in which case device discovery will stop working) either from your system services console or by starting Elementi from command line / Run utility and adding " /bonjour:off" at the end, for instance
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SpinetiX\Elementi\Elementi\bin\elementi.exe" /bonjour:off .
MPlayer is an open-source media player supplied within Elementi and used as fail-safe for playing certain types of media streams.
- Note that some anti-virus detect the mplayer.exe component of Elementi as being a generic Trojan, this is a false positive and you can safely proceed with the installation. If this component is not installed audio and video streaming in Elementi will not work.
- PowerPoint Viewer 2007 must be installer on your computer to import PPT/PPTX files into Elementi.
- The Flash plugin for IE must be installed on your computer to import SWF files.
- An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729.6161",publicKeyToken="...",processorArchitecture="...",type="...". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:<error code>.
- In case of HRESULT:0x80070BC9
- This error means: "The requested operation failed. A system reboot is required to roll back changes made". Try to repeat the installation after a reboot.
- In case of HRESULT:0x8007371B
- This error might be caused by some problems with the Windows registry on that machine. Try reinstalling Elementi as administrator (i.e.right-click and Run as administrator). If that doesn't fix it, then he can try with this tool.
- In case of HRESULT:0x80070BC9
- The installation finished, but the application does not start afterward.
- This might be due to an antivirus program blocking the installation. Try reinstalling Elementi as administrator (i.e.right-click and Run as administrator) or disabling the antivirus during the installation.
- This application is going to terminate because of an unexpected error.
- Unexpected crashes such as this can be caused by a number of issues. Please try the following steps before contacting support:
- Ensure you are using the latest Elementi version.
- Note if a particular file or action causes the error consistently.
- If your project is on a network location, copy the project to a local folder such as C:\temp.
- Run this command:
dxdiag(to open DirectX Diagnostic Tool), press the "Save All Information..." button and save the file somewhere. Then run this command:
shell:Local AppData\SpinetiX\Elementiand find the "crash.dmp" file. Send these two files to SpinetiX Support for further analysis.
- Unexpected crashes such as this can be caused by a number of issues. Please try the following steps before contacting support:
- The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more details.
- This is due to a conflict with other Microsoft Visual C++ components already active on your system. Try to reinstall the Elementi application and if that is not solving the issue, then you have to remove from your system the components that are causing the conflict (you can find those in the Windows application event log).
- Error: <file name> is not a valid Windows Executable.
- This means that the executable file is corrupt, usually due to a broken download from spinetix.com. Clear your browser's cache and download the installer again.
- Publishing errors: Listing device failed, Device not present etc.
- See the dedicated section about publish issues.
Drag & drop issues
Some running programs might interfere with the drag & drop functionality within Elementi GUI (for instance dragging and dropping a media into the Edit panel to add a new layer), in which case you need to use the right-click menu options and / or the top-menu buttons instead of doing drag and drop actions. Usually, closing or uninstalling the interfering program solves the problem. (Note: other softwares based on GTK library have the same problem.)
Here are some types of programs / applications, known to potentially interfere with the d&d functionality:
- some desktop sharing / remote control softwares (e.g., some Citrix products, Webex, GoToAssist),
- anti-virus applications (like Kaspersky 2014 - adding Elementi to the list of trusted applications solves the problem),
- screen recording applications (like Camtasia or SnagIt),
- utility applications (like the TuneUp Utilities or Lenovo "SimpleTap" touch-pad utility),
- Windows Update application in case some updates were not installed for some reason.
Logs and config files
Elementi configuration (profile.xml), logs (log\player.log), streaming captures (capture\CAP_*), and crash dump (crash.dmp) files are stored into the 'Local Application Data' folder under your user account folder (which is hidden by default).
This folder can be quickly located by typing the following command into the Run utility (Windows key + R):
- Alternatively you can use
%LOCALAPPDATA%\SpinetiX\Elementiin Vista/Win7 or
License expired error
In case Elementi restarts in loop when trying to validate an expired Elementi license, it may be necessary to manually remove the license from Elementi. For that, follow these steps:
- Open Windows "Run" utility (press window + R keys).
- Run the following command to open Elementi data folder:
- Backup somewhere these two files: license.txt and profile.xml files.
- Delete the license.txt and profile.xml files from Elementi data folder.
- Restart Elementi. You can now enter a valid license key.