From SpinetiX Support Wiki
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Major features
- 3 User editions
- 4 Versions
- 5 Licensing
- 6 System requirements
- 7 External components
- 8 Troubleshooting
Elementi is a commercial software application from SpinetiX that simplifies the creation of digital signage content and its deployment on SpinetiX Hyper Media Players, allowing you to achieve professional results quicker than ever. Elementi lets you create high impact projects, and deliver visually rich experience to virtually any combination of screens.
The seven major features of Elementi are summarized below, yet there are much more than that - more and more features are added with every new version release. Furthermore, each Elementi version comes in three different editions (Elementi S, Elementi M, and Elementi X), each offering features specially tailored for different groups of users.
The latest stable version is Elementi 2017 (version "Dufourspitze" 4.2.0), released on 25 April 2017 - for more details, see Elementi release notes.
- Intuitive graphical user interface
- Content creation
- Elementi facilitates creating digital signage content through layouts and playlists, which are populated with resources from Elementi Library or imported by the user, custom fonts, remote resources etc.
- Elementi also makes it easy to create complex digital signage content, like interactive content or multiscreen content.
- Content editing
- Within Elementi, simply drag & drop to add, remove, position or order layers, and use layers' timelines to control their starting and ending time. Fine-tune the content by changing the properties of layers, adding special formatting & effects, setting transition effects between playlist's items etc.
- Content scheduling
- Control with minute-accuracy when a certain media is to be displayed, even years from the current moment, using simple drag & drop actions within the Calendar panel. Go even further with advanced recurring rules, event priority and timezone, to schedule content even years from the current moment.
- Elementi optimized publishing process simplifies the deployment of digital signage content onto any number of target devices, saves bandwidth due to smart negotiation with the HMP and stores the list of target devices per project for future publishes.
- Management of devices
Elementi software comes in three user editions: Elementi S, Elementi M, and Elementi X, each being specialized for a certain type of usage (single site, multi site, custom), and with an increasing set of features comparing to the starter edition - for more details, see the comparison of the three Elementi user editions on the SpinetiX site.
- The same executable file can be used to install any of the three Elementi user editions - based on the Elementi license activated for that user, some of the software features are enabled / disabled.
- Elementi X and Elementi M users can test the lower edition(s) by starting Elementi from command line / Run utility and adding " -M" or " -S" at the end, like this: >
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SpinetiX\Elementi\Elementi\bin\elementi.exe" -S
Elementi S is the Starter edition, with less features than the other two, yet having everything needed to create high impact projects for HMP devices. It is perfect for small installations, such as restaurants, showrooms, small offices, informational kiosks etc.
Elementi S includes the following features:
- Intuitive interface to build digital signage content;
- Editing and publishing tools;
- Formatting, effects and transitions;
- Full screen preview mode;
- Management of a maximum of 10 devices.
Elementi M is the Multi-user edition offering solutions to collaborative environments where different users have different responsibilities. It is perfect for larger installations, such as: hotels, conference centers, museums, academical centers, stadiums, sport arenas etc.
Elementi M includes the following features, in addition to the ones of Elementi S:
- Unlimited number of devices;
- Publish content to network locations (i.e. web servers);
- User roles for editing and publishing.
Elementi X is the eXpert edition offering extra features & tools for those wanting to differentiate themselves. It is perfect for content creators / developers looking to monetize their skills for the above mentioned installations.
Elementi X includes the following features, in addition to the ones of Elementi M:
- Content creation to be used with different user roles;
- Extended configuration of feed widgets;
- Creation of Fusion Style Packs (including Fusion Skins / Templates);
- Edit panel includes two additional views: "XML Tree" and "WebDAV".
Since its market introduction in April 2013, Elementi has continually evolved over the years - the major improvements added within each generation are summarized below, for more details, see Elementi release notes page. Usually a new generation is released every year, with one or more minor releases (i.e. mainly bug fixes) in between.
Note that only one version of Elementi can be present on a PC - it is recommended to have the latest one, of course. Also, each version requires a minimum firmware version on the HMP devices - see Software / firmware compatibility table for more details.
Elementi 2017 ("Dufourspitze") is the fifth generation of the Elementi software; its major version, Elementi 4.2.2, was released on 13 Sept. 2017.
- New Instagram and Facebook widgets to connect to social networks.
- New Excel Online, Outlook Online, OneDrive channels to connect to Microsoft Online services.
- New Facebook Album channel as media source and Facebook Calendar channel as calendar source.
- New QR code widgets to display QR Codes for url, phone or contact information
- New Animated playlist widgets using Ken Burns effect for Instagram, Flickr, Facebook albums and Media files widgets
- Blue pack Spreadsheet and Calendar widgets to display menu, way finding, opening hours, events and much more.
Elementi 2016 ("Grandes Jorasses") is the fourth generation of the Elementi software; its major version, Elementi 4.1.0, was released on 15 Sep 2016, and two minor releases followed afterwards.
- New Twitter and Flickr widgets to connect to social networks.
- New Finance widgets to display financial data such as exchange rate, market data.
- New Weather widgets to display weather conditions and forecast.
- New Date widgets to display the current date in different calendars (Gregorian, Chinese, Hebrew, Indian, Islamic, Japanese etc.).
- Re-design of data-driven widgets with support for authenticated channels, 3rd party services (such as Yahoo, Google, Twitter, and Flickr), and data import from Excel.
- New Noto fonts included within the built-in fonts in order to support all languages with a harmonious look and feel..
- New set of sample projects.
- Improved internationalization features for date/time and numbers formatting.
Elementi 2015 ("Gran Paradiso") is the third generation of the Elementi software; its major version, Elementi 4.0.0, was released on 17 Aug 2015, and was followed by two minor releases (4.0.1 on 26 Feb 2016 and 4.0.2 on 27 May 2016).
- Support for the new HMP300 and HMP350 player models. See also the Software / firmware compatibility table.
- New video decoding, audio, and streaming engines.
- Integrated transcoding of media files that are out of specs or use a not recommended codec / container.
- Support for Web Page layers.
- Redesigned the multiscreen content management. Added support for import and display of very large images and splitting and re-encoding of 4K+ video files at the optimal resolution, and support for using data feed widgets within multiscreen projects.
- Elementi 2015 Library was refreshed to provide a better user experience. New widgets were added: text crawler widgets, astronomy widgets for sun & moon phases, specialized data feed widgets (for RSS, Text, Spreadsheets, Calendars, Media).
- Added new translation languages into Elementi: Dutch, Indonesian, and Norwegian.
Elementi 3.1.x ("Grand Combin") is the second generation of the Elementi software; its major version, Elementi 3.1.0, was released on 13 Oct 2014, and was followed by a minor release (3.1.1) on 4 Dec 2014.
- Improved user interface: preview zoom in/out, credentials management, new layer properties, automatic license revalidation etc.
- Added a lot of new widgets - chart, gauge, time counter, text effects widgets.
- Added configurable caching time to data feed widgets. The ICS parser now returns all the properties of the calendar events.
- Added more types of Publish Locations and the automatic generation of the XML repository descriptor file needed by Pull Mode.
- Shared Variables framework has been merged within the
Elementi 3.0.x ("Monte Rosa") is the first generation of the Elementi software, designed to replace the previous digital signage software, called Hyper Media Director. The major version, Elementi 3.0.0, was released on 17 Apr 2013 and six other minor releases (3.0.1 - 3.0.6) followed afterwards, the last being released on 9 Jul 2014.
The specifications required to run Elementi depend heavily on the projects you are going to create; for instance, if your PC is not capable of playing multiple videos independently, a project containing multiple concurrent videos might not render smoothly within Elementi either.
Here is the minimum hardware you’ll need to run Elementi on your PC:
- Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 with SP1 or later, Vista with SP1 or later.
- Windows XP is no longer supported starting with Elementi 2016.
- It is not recommended installing Elementi on Windows Server OS due to limited graphics capability, poor DirectX support, lack of audio / video support etc. Because of that, such OS are not officially supported, even though Elementi might work, but in a non-optimal way.
- It is not recommended installing Elementi on virtual machines because of performance reasons.
- The Mac OS are not supported, however you can use Boot Camp (with or without Parallels Desktop) that lets you run compatible versions of Microsoft Windows on an Intel-based Mac.
- Linux OS are not supported.
- Processor supporting the SSE2 instructions set - for instance Intel processors: Core i7, Xeon, Pentium Dual-Core, Pentium D, Pentium 4 etc., or AMD processors like Phenom, Opteron, Athlon 64 etc. Although a 32-bit application, Elementi runs on 64-bit processors as well.
- 4 GB or more of RAM.
Hard disk space:
- Minimum 200 MB of hard drive space for installing the application; more space will be needed later to store the content.
- Graphic card with support for DirectX 9.0c or later, and resolutions above 1024x768.
At the end of the Elementi installation, two additional programs from Apple Inc. are proposed for installation: Apple Software Update and Bonjour 3.0. These programs are installed as part of Elementi and their installation cannot be skipped, nor the programs removed afterwards. Otherwise Elementi will not going to work properly.
If needed, you can disable the Bonjour Service afterwards (in which case device discovery will stop working) either from your system services console or by starting Elementi from command line / Run utility and adding " /bonjour:off" at the end, for instance
"C:\Program Files (x86)\SpinetiX\Elementi\Elementi\bin\elementi.exe" /bonjour:off .
MPlayer is an open-source media player supplied within Elementi and used as fail-safe for playing certain types of media streams.
- Note that some anti-virus detect the mplayer.exe component of Elementi as being a generic Trojan, this is a false positive and you can safely proceed with the installation. If this component is not installed audio and video streaming in Elementi will not work.
- PowerPoint Viewer 2007 must be installer on your computer to import PPT/PPTX files into Elementi.
- The Flash plugin for IE must be installed on your computer to import SWF files.
- An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC90.CRT,version="9.0.30729.6161",publicKeyToken="...",processorArchitecture="...",type="...". Please refer to Help and Support for more information. HRESULT:<error code>.
- In case of HRESULT:0x80070BC9
- This error means: "The requested operation failed. A system reboot is required to roll back changes made". Try to repeat the installation after a reboot.
- In case of HRESULT:0x8007371B
- This error might be caused by some problems with the Windows registry on that machine. Try reinstalling Elementi as administrator (i.e.right-click and Run as administrator). If that doesn't fix it, then he can try with this tool.
- In case of HRESULT:0x80070BC9
- The installation finished, but the application does not start afterward.
- This might be due to an antivirus program blocking the installation. Try reinstalling Elementi as administrator (i.e.right-click and Run as administrator) or disabling the antivirus during the installation.
- This application is going to terminate because of an unexpected error.
- Unexpected crashes such as this can be caused by a number of issues. Please try the following steps before contacting support:
- Ensure you are using the latest Elementi version.
- Note if a particular file or action causes the error consistently.
- If your project is on a network location, copy the project to a local folder such as C:\temp.
- Run this command:
dxdiag(to open DirectX Diagnostic Tool), press the "Save All Information..." button and save the file somewhere. Then run this command:
shell:Local AppData\SpinetiX\Elementiand find the "crash.dmp" file. Send these two files to SpinetiX Support for further analysis.
- Unexpected crashes such as this can be caused by a number of issues. Please try the following steps before contacting support:
- The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more details.
- This is due to a conflict with other Microsoft Visual C++ components already active on your system. Try to reinstall the Elementi application and if that is not solving the issue, then you have to remove from your system the components that are causing the conflict (you can find those in the Windows application event log).
- Error: <file name> is not a valid Windows Executable.
- This means that the executable file is corrupt, usually due to a broken download from spinetix.com. Clear your browser's cache and download the installer again.
Drag & drop issues
Some running programs might interfere with the drag & drop functionality within Elementi GUI (for instance dragging and dropping a media into the Edit panel to add a new layer), in which case you need to use the right-click menu options and / or the top-menu buttons instead of doing drag and drop actions. Usually, closing or uninstalling the interfering program solves the problem. (Note: other softwares based on GTK library have the same problem.)
Here are some types of programs / applications, known to potentially interfere with the d&d functionality:
- some desktop sharing / remote control softwares (e.g., some Citrix products, Webex),
- anti-virus applications (like Kaspersky 2014 - adding Elementi to the list of trusted applications solves the problem),
- screen recording applications (like Camtasia or SnagIt),
- utility applications (like the TuneUp Utilities or Lenovo "SimpleTap" touch-pad utility),
- Windows Update application in case some updates were not installed for some reason.
Logs and config files
Elementi configuration (profile.xml), logs (log\player.log), streaming captures (capture\CAP_*), and crash dump (crash.dmp) files are stored into the 'Local Application Data' folder under your user account folder (which is hidden by default).
This folder can be quickly located by typing the following command into the Run utility (Windows key + R):
- Alternatively you can use
%LOCALAPPDATA%\SpinetiX\Elementiin Vista/Win7 or
License expired error
In case Elementi restarts in loop when trying to validate an expired Elementi license, it may be necessary to manually remove the license from Elementi. For that, follow these steps:
- Open Windows "Run" utility (press window + R keys).
- Run the following command to open Elementi data folder:
- Delete the license.txt and profile.xml files.
- Restart Elementi. You can now enter a valid license key.