From SpinetiX Support Wiki
- 1 Introduction
- 2 License activation
- 3 License registration
- 4 Update Plan
- 5 License release
Elementi software is licensed, not sold. SpinetiX grants to you a license, that is non-exclusive and non-sub-licensable, to use the Elementi software indefinitely (subject to license reactivation) for your own use, only on a single computer / virtual machine at any given time. For more details on this subject, see the End User License Agreement page.
Elementi can run only if a license is currently activated on that PC - without a valid license, you can only run Elementi S as a trial for 30 days. Elementi can be used under any account present on that computer, each user having its "private" instance of Elementi.
It's highly recommended to register the license.
The Elementi license is available as a plastic card within a carton package, as shown in the images below. Each card has a unique ID, composed of nine alphanumeric characters, that can be useful in case of license loss.
There are three types of license cards available, corresponding to the three Elementi user editions:
Each card contains a single license key, printed on its back and covered by a protective layer. Some time ago, SpinetiX also offered an Elementi M license card with three license keys to be used on three computers within the same organisation.
The Elementi license key is composed of five groups, each of five alphanumeric characters in upper-case, separated by dashes (e.g., XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX) and is always associated to a license card.
Any license key (also referred to as license code) is unique and is used to activate the Elementi license on a computer.
Once activated, you can always retrieve the license key from the License dialog ("Menu" > "Help" > "License..."). It's highly recommended to have the license registered as well, to be able to retrieve the license key regardless of having access to Elementi instance.
Elementi can be used only if a license is currently activated on that computer; a check for a valid license is performed each time Elementi software is executed. If the result is negative, you will be requested to activate an Elementi license in order to continue using the application. The activation can be done directly from Elementi or manually from Cockpit, as detailed below.
Any Elementi license can be active on a single physical computer at any given time, as specified in the Elementi End User License Agreement. While the EULA limits the number of computers on which it can be activated concurrently to a single one, it doesn't limit the number of users that can use the Elementi software on that computer. Note that the same license must be activated under each user account upon first usage and each user has a "private" instance of Elementi.
To activate your Elementi license (S, M, or X), follow these steps:
- Open Elementi. If a valid license is not detected, the "License" dialog is automatically displayed.
- This dialog can be opened from Menu > Help > License... menu item.
- If an Elementi license was previously activated on that computer, its key is automatically displayed.
- If you need to activate a new license, you need to release the current one first.
- Otherwise, select "Enter a license key" option and enter your license key (five groups of five alphanumeric characters in upper-case separated by dashes).
- Click the "OK" button.
- In case you get an error message saying "License Key is not valid", then double-check that the key you entered is correct (look especially for similar characters like 1 and I, 5 and S etc.).
- A dialog is displayed confirming that the license has been activated. Click "Close" button to restart Elementi.
- During the automatic license activation process, Elementi securely connects to spinetix.com server to verify and activate the license.
- In case of connection failure, the manual activation procedure is triggered automatically.
- In network restrictive environments, the HTTPS access to *.spinetix.com on port 443 should be allowed for the automatic activation to work.
If the direct activation fails (e.g., computer does not have access to the Internet / our servers, proxy server requiring credentials etc.), you can always activate your license manually, by following these steps:
- Copy the activation string generated by Elementi somewhere (for instance you can use "Copy to clipboard" button).
- Click on the "Next" button.
- Open a browser and log into your Cockpit account (https://cockpit.spinetix.com).
- Note that the accounts from spinetix.com are not valid on Cockpit, thus you might need to sign up for an account on Cockpit.
- Once logged in, click on the "Elementi" link on the top menu.
- All your registered licenses are listed on this page.
- Click on the "Manual activation" button.
- Paste the activation string into the text area and click on the "Activate" button.
- A response activation code is generated by our website - copy this code somewhere (e.g., clipboard).
- Paste the response activation code into the "Online Activation" dialog of Elementi.
- Click the "Activate" button to finalize the procedure.
Revalidation of the license
A regular check of the license activation must be done because of the fact that any Elementi license can be remotely released in case of emergency - this is usually done by Elementi in the background and involves only one click from the user, unless instructed otherwise.
- This process requires access to our servers - if that's not possible, you will be guided through the manual reactivation, which is similar to the manual activation process detailed above.
To manually check the license activation, follow these steps:
- Open the License dialog from "Menu" > "Help" > "License...".
- It is recommended to keep enabled the option to automatically check license activation.
- Click on the "Check now" button.
- In older versions, you need to click on the "Validate Now" button to confirm the license reactivation.
- A message confirming the license revalidation is displayed.
See the benefits of registering your Elementi license(s) under your Cockpit account.
To register one or more Elementi licenses under your Cockpit account, follow these steps:
- Log into your Cockpit account at https://cockpit.spinetix.com.
- Note that the accounts from spinetix.com website are not valid on Cockpit, thus you might need to sign up for a Cockpit account.
- Once logged in, click on "Elementi" link on the top menu.
- Click on "Register license" button on the top-right side.
- Enter the license key(s). A new line is automatically added after entering a license.
- Press the "Register" button.
If the license is valid and not registered by another person, then it is added to your account. Otherwise, an explanatory error message is displayed - for instance:
- "License key is not recognized ..." means that you need to double-check that the license key is correct - look especially for similar characters like 1 and I, 5 and S etc.
- "License key already registered by ..." means that another person has registered the license before, so the license must first be unregistered by that person.
For full screen, see this video on Vimeo.
The Elementi Update Plan subscription service was introduced at the launch of Elementi 2015, as a convenient way for our long-supporting customers to be able to update their existing Elementi 3.x deployments to the latest product version at a lower cost than buying new licenses for that purpose. In the same manner, new customers benefit of the same convenience for updating to future Elementi products.
Why do I need a valid Elementi Update Plan?
SpinetiX is committed to keeping its Elementi software at the forefront of digital signage innovation. Elementi users can expect on-going evolution and improvements for an ultimate experience bringing digital signage to the next level. Therefore, the Elementi Update Plan offers many user benefits which could be summarized as follows:
- Up-to-date software
- The plan provides users access to the latest software features and performance optimizations. Since its market introduction, Elementi has continuously evolved over the five generations of the software. Thanks to the 250+ widgets added over time, the power of data-driven digital signage is a reality for Elementi users. The fast track to bringing data from everyday tools beautifully to the right audience at the right time.
- Maximum security
- Important cybersecurity attacks have recently caused severe disruption of IT services and costly remediation for those affected across many sectors in numerous industries. As the prevalence of connected digital signage systems increases, the number of attacks will not diminish, so it is important to have security as a core requirement when planning, deploying and operating digital signage solutions. In this context, the plan ensures that both HMP devices and Elementi software benefit from the latest security patches and remain fully compatible giving peace of mind to users.
- Best in class support
- The plan provides the user with best in class support from our free-access technical documentation on Support Wiki up to a local personalized support from our channel ecosystem.
- Unlimited flexibility
How does it work?
It's simple - the purchase of a new Elementi license comes with one-year Update Plan subscription included, which starts when the license is activated for the first time on a PC. See Elementi EULA for more details.
Any new Elementi version released within this one-year period can be installed and used for free. With other words, not only that you will get minor bug-fixing releases for the Elementi version you purchased, but might also be getting the next Elementi product for free!
Will Elementi stop working at the end of Update Plan subscription?
Of course not! You can continue to use the Elementi version downloaded and installed during its Update Plan period for as long as you like.
What changes at the end of the subscription period, is that are you are no longer entitled to free software updates. When a new Elementi version is released, you'll be notified that your Elementi Update Plan has expired and that you need to extend your Update Plan to get access to the latest version of Elementi. This is a premium service accessible through Cockpit.
Can I test the the lastest available Elementi version?
Yes, Elementi versions released after the Update Plan end-date, can be installed and tested for 30 days. After this trial period, you need to decide whether you want to keep using the newer version by purchasing the Elementi Update Plan or downgrading Elementi to the previous version.
When can I buy the Elementi Update Plan?
At any time! Simply log into your Cockpit account and purchase your Elementi Update Plan for 1 or for 3 years to benefit from all major and minor commercial updates that SpinetiX is making available to Elementi software users during the contracted subscription period.
Buy Elementi Update Plan
To buy the Elementi Update Plan for one or more registered licenses, follow these steps:
- Once notified in Elementi, click "Extend Update Plan".
- You'll get redirected to Cockpit. Log into your Cockpit account.
- Click the "Elementi" page link on the top-bar menu.
- Find the license for which you want to extend the Update Plan.
- Click "Buy" or alternatively "Early Bird Offer".
- Choose the duration of your plan and hit the "Buy" button again.
- On the "Order Summary" page, enter any missing details or change them in case they are not correct. By default, your Cockpit account details are used for your order.
- Verify the order details and click either "Request Offer" or "Buy" button.
- Click the "Buy" button to directly purchase the Elementi Update Plan via a credit card. Your Update Plan is directly activated after the purchase.
- Click the "Request Offer" button to generate an offer - our Sales Team will contact you with more details about your order.
To allow for equipment becoming obsolete, SpinetiX is providing a license release tool directly within the Elementi software, which allows releasing your Elementi license from the current PC in order to activate the license on a new PC.
- Currently, there's no limit set for the total number of releases that can be done using this procedure, however, this process is tracked and releasing an Elementi license in an abusive manner will block that license and prevent it from be installed on another computer.
- Alternatively, you can use the "Emergency license release procedure" up to three times.
Release the license from Elementi
To release the Elementi License from your current computer A and install it on a new computer B, please follow these steps:
- Open Elementi on computer A.
- Open the License dialog ("Menu" > "Help" > "License...").
- Click on the "Release" button and confirm the release of the license.
- In case Elementi cannot contact SpinetiX server, you need to perform a manual release - see details below.
- Elementi will exit so you can uninstall the software from computer A.
- Once the license has been released, it will no longer be possible to run Elementi on this computer.
- Install Elementi on computer B.
- It is recommended to first test that the computer is compatible with Elementi requirements using the Elementi 30-day free trial.
- Activate the license on computer B.
Manual release procedure
This procedure is employed when Elementi cannot contact SpinetiX server.
- Copy the release string provided by Elementi.
- Open http://www.spinetix.com/go/activation in a browser.
- Log into your Cockpit account, if necessary. The "Manual Activation" opens.
- Paste the release string provided by Elementi.
- Click the "Activate" button.
- Go back to Elementi and click "OK", then "Close".
- Continue the steps detailed above.
Emergency license release from Cockpit
In case it is not possible to follow the above procedure (for instance, the original PC is no longer available / accessible), then you can follow the emergency release procedure:
- Log in into your Cockpit account (https://cockpit.spinetix.com).
- Note that the accounts from spinetix.com are not valid on Cockpit, thus you might need to sign up for an account on Cockpit.
- Once logged in, click on the "Elementi" link on the top menu. All your registered licenses are listed on this page.
- Find the license you want to release within the list and select it (by clicking on its corresponding checkbox).
- In case this Elementi License has not been registered under your account, then register your Elementi License before going further with this procedure.
- Click on the "Emergency Release" button to force the license release within our system.
In some cases, it may be necessary to manually remove the license information from Elementi - for that, follow these steps:
- Close Elementi.
- Open Windows "Run" utility (press window + R keys).
- Enter the following command:
- Click the OK button to open Elementi application data folder.
- Delete the license.txt file.
- Restart Elementi.
If the problem persists, then delete the profile.xml file as well, using the same procedure as above.