Elementi license management in Cockpit
From SpinetiX Support Wiki
Elementi License Management service offers to Cockpit users the possibility to register, manually activate, and manage their Elementi licenses for free, and to request Update Plan extensions (premium service) for their Elementi licenses.
The main benefits of using the Elementi License Management service are:
- Online access to information related to Elementi licenses.
- This allows retrieving information related to Elementi licenses, that you own or manage for your customers, such as: license key and type, license card serial number etc. It is useful in case the license card is lost or misplaced, computer crashed etc.
- Inventory and referencing of your registered Elementi licenses.
- This allows tracking the license usage and knowing the activation date of each license; tags can also be used to classify your licenses.
- Get three emergency releases per license.
- This allows forcing the release (maximum 3 times) of a license activated on a PC, when you do not have access to the Elementi software for normal release (unlimited).
- Purchase Update Plan extensions for any of the registered Elementi license keys.
- This allows updating your Elementi software version to the latest Elementi version released by SpinetiX within the active period of the Update Plan, at a lower price than purchasing a new license. Plus, you get to keep your current license key.
To register one or more Elementi licenses under your Cockpit account, follow these steps:
- Log into your Cockpit account at https://cockpit.spinetix.com.
- Note that the accounts from spinetix.com website are not valid on Cockpit, thus you might need to sign up for a Cockpit account.
- Once logged in, click on "Elementi" link on the top menu.
- Click on "Register license" button on the top-right side.
- Enter the license key(s). A new line is automatically added after entering a license.
- Press the "Register" button.
If the license is valid and not registered by another person, then it is added to your account. Otherwise, an explanatory error message is displayed - for instance:
- "License key is not recognized ..." means that you need to double-check that the license key is correct - look especially for similar characters like 1 and I, 5 and S etc.
- "License key already registered by ..." means that another person has registered the license before, so the license must first be unregistered by that person.
Click on the top menu "Elementi" link to get a quick overview of your registered licenses. By default, all licenses are showed, but you can further filter them using the shortcuts on the left-side menu:
- Activated - to show only the licenses that are activated,
- Update Plans - to show only the licenses that have a valid Update Plan,
- No Update Plan - to show only the licenses that do not have a valid Update Plan.
For each license, the following details are showed in the summary table:
- License key
- This property is a string.
- The first and last digits of the registered license key. A mouse over the license reveals the full license key.
- This property is a letter.
- There are 3 different Elementi license types represented by the letters: S, M, X.
- This property can be set to:
- Registered: The license has been registered and is available to be used on a new PC
- Activated: The license has been activated on a PC.
- This property can be set to:
- Activation date
- This property is a date.
- If the license is activated, the date of the last activation is shown.
- This property is one or more strings.
- If the license is activated the computer ID of the last activation is shown
- Update Plan ends
- This property is a date.
- All Elementi software updates released by SpinetiX after this date will not be activated using the license unless a new subscription to the Update plan is purchased for this license. By purchasing a yearly subscription to the Update plan for the license, the date shown in this field will be 12 months later.
- If the license has never been activated, this field is left empty.
- If the first activation of the license key has been done before the 15 June 2014, the end of the Update Plan has been set to 15 June 2015, regardless of the actual first activation date.
- If the first activation of the license key has been done between the 15 June 2014 and the 15 June 2015, the end of the Update Plan has been set to 15 June 2016, regardless of the actual first activation date.
- Any license key activated for the first time after the 15 June 2015, have and Update Plan ending 12 months after this first activation date.
You can select one or more licenses by clicking on the respective check boxes - or click on "Select all" one to select all of them. The following actions are then possible:
- Remove the license key from this account.
- Note: Deleting a license key from a cockpit account does not affect any property of the license. It simply allows the license keys to be registered under a different cockpit account.
- Emergency Release
- This procedure is described in details in the Elementi license page.
- Note that this button is enabled only if a single license is selected.
- Extend Update Plan
- Let the user purchase new Update Plan subscriptions directly from within Cockpit.
- Export Selected
- Export selected license status in a CSV file.
Starting with the launch of Elementi 2015 product, the Update Plan subscription has also been introduced, as a convenient way for our long-supporting customers to be able to update their existing Elementi 3.x deployments to the latest product version at a lower cost than buying new licenses for that purpose. In the same manner, new customers benefit of the same convenience for updating to future Elementi products.
How does that work?
It's simple - every new Elementi license comes with one-year free Update Plan subscription, which starts when the license is activated for the first time on a PC. For more details, see the "Limited Warranty" section from Elementi EULA.
This means that any new Elementi version released within this one-year period can be installed and used for free. With other words, now only that you will get minor bug-fixing releases for the Elementi version you purchased, but might also be getting the next Elementi product for free!
Will Elementi stop working at the end of that one-year period?
No, definitely not! You can continue to use the last Elementi version downloaded and installed during the Update Plan period as long as you like. What changes at the end of the subscription period, is that are you are no longer entitled to free software updates.
If you would like to have that back, you need to request an Update Plan extension (premium service) for that license and benefit from future Elementi software releases in the same manner.
Can I test the new version first?
Yes, Elementi versions released after the Update Plan end-date, can be installed & tested for 30 days. After this trial period, Elementi will automatically ask whether you want to subscribe to an Update Plan to keep using the newer version; of course, you can choose to downgrade Elementi to the previous version.
When can I subscribe?
The initial Update Plan can be extended at any time from Cockpit for additional years, during which you can uninterruptedly benefit of free-of-charge update to any product version that SpinetiX is making commercially available to its customers during the contracted subscription period - this is a premium service, nevertheless, the fee to pay is much lower than purchasing a new license.
Note that the extension of the Update Plan associated with a license always starts from the end of the previous plan validity, regardless of the date of purchase. This means that if the request is done more than one year after the previous subscription ended, you need to purchase an Update Plan extension for at least two years, to buy-back the period you missed.
Extend Update Plan
The recommended way to request an Update Plan extension is through Cockpit interface (see below), for easier tracking and reference. Alternatively, you can manually send the request to extend an Update Plan along with the license key (or the license card serial number) to your dealer / distributor.
Note: Note that the extension of the Update Plan always start from the end of validity of the previous plan, regardless of the date of purchase.
To extend the Update Plan for one or more registered licenses, follow these steps:
- Log into your Cockpit account.
- Click the "Elementi" page link on the top-bar menu.
- Click the "Extend Update Plan" button on the top-right side. This opens the "New Request" page.
- This automatically selects all the licenses in need for an Update Plane extension. Alternatively, you can manually select the license you want and press the "Extend Update Plan" button at the bottom of the page.
- Select the number of years to extend the Update Plan for each selected license.
- Cockpit allows to purchase several years' extension of the Update Plan for a license key at any time, including well before the current Update Plan end date.
- Click the "Next" button to advance to the request confirmation. You can also add a message to the distributor.
- Click the "Send" button to confirm the request.
- If your Cockpit account is paired with a distributor account, then Cockpit sends your request and notifies your selected distributor, who will be able to follow up on your request of purchase accordingly to the commercial policy you have agreed together in advance. At any time, you can see the status of your order using the Requests page (accessible on Cockpit using the top-right user menu).
- Otherwise, a summary email is opened in your email client, for you to manually send or print.
Note: After the distributor has validated the request, the respective Update Plan subscription period is automatically extended in Cockpit by the number of selected years, starting from the end date of the previous Update Plan period (and not from the request date).