Migrating from HMD to Elementi
From SpinetiX Support Wiki
Did you know that Hyper Media Director ("HMD") is a legacy SpinetiX software, retired since Jan 1st, 2014 ? We’ve since developed a new generation of powerful digital signage software called Elementi.
Elementi is the No.1 digital signage software designed to deliver a visually rich data-driven experience to any combination of displays. Elementi is easy to use and features hundreds of components, called widgets, that turn live data from your everyday tools into engaging screen content.
Elementi comes not only with a new look, but also with new features comparing to HMD. Nevertheless, the same principles were kept in order to allow a smooth migration from HMD to Elementi. Elementi and HMD may be run simultaneously on the same computer.
How to upgrade from HMD to Elementi
Upgrading from HMD to Elementi is very easy.
- First login into your Cockpit account.
- Register your HMD license into Cockpit - it will automatically be transformed into an Elementi license.
- Next, you need to buy an Elementi Update Plan for your new license - for that follow these steps:
- Click the "Buy" button to get your price for 1 or 3 years of Update Plan.
- Choose the duration of your plan and hit the "Buy" button again.
- On the "Order Summary" page, enter any missing details or change them in case they are not correct. By default, your Cockpit account details are used for your order.
- Verify the order details and click the "Buy" button to purchase via a credit card - your Update Plan is directly activated after the purchase.
- If you want to pay by other means, click the "Request Offer" button and our Sales Team will contact you with further details.
- Once your Update Plan is valid, download and install the very latest Elementi version.
- Activate your license and enjoy Elementi.
- Elementi supports projects created in HMD, though editing them is somehow limited.
- Effects created by HMD can be displayed by Elementi but not modified.
- When installing Elementi, it will automatically use the same projects location as HMD, if it was previously installed on the computer.
- Layer properties of HMD created svg file, shows only a limited set of options. The dialog is called Layer Properties (limited). To use the new Elementi features such as formatting and effects, you need to create a new Layout.
What is new or changed in Elementi
- Elementi is available in more languages.
- Added a toolbar for most common action. The first item of the toolbar opens the main menu (file, edit, settings, etc.). For more details, see the Elementi Quick Guide and Elementi interface tutorial.
- Simplified fonts import mechanism.
- PowerPoint viewer is no longer installed with Elementi. See how to use PowerPoint content.
- Simplified Fusion templates creation.
- New User roles for Elementi M users.
- New Full screen preview.
- Added the possibility to release your license directly from Elementi or from Cockpit.
- New Browse panel, composed of a fixed number of tabs ( 4 for Elementi S and 5 for the other version), as following:
- Projects: for Projects (and also Fusion Style Packs with Elementi X).
- Library: for widgets, background images, clip-arts shipped with Elementi.
- Assets (not available with Elementi S): User file repository to store users widgets, icons, etc. See page 21 of the Elementi Quick Guide.
- Devices: for the HMP devices discovered automatically or added manually. Publish Locations can also be added by Elementi M and Elementi X users.
- 'current project': the currently opened Project is always under the right-most tab. The tab is named after the opened Project (or Fusion Style Pack).
- Opening a Project automatically opens the master file (index.svg) in the Preview panel.
- Layout replaces the HMD Multilayer document.
- If a Project is added (using Drag&Drop) inside another Project it is automatically converted into a Layout.
- Only a single Project can be opened at the time. If you need to copy file from one Project to another, you need to use Copy & Paste or the Asset tab.
- Possibility to Mute / unmute the audio directly from the Preview panel.
- Clicking on the playback control before the time indicator will restart the playback from the start.
- To turn on the touch screen testing, click on the hand icon.
- It is now possible to select multiple layers (using CTRL+click) and apply the same changes to all of them. This include moving them as a group.
- Added alignment of layers. If only one layer is selected, the layer is aligned to the document window. If more than one layer is selected, the layers are aligned respectively to each other.
- When a media is drag & dropped into the preview panel, its size is automatically set to the native size of the media.
- Removed the possibility to freely rotate layers -> see the complex transformations example for an alternative.
- Added a Media Timeline to the Edit panel to control when media are displayed.
- Order of the Layer tab has been reversed. Layers on top of the display order (Z-order) are now on the top of the window.
- Easier setting to control if a video is played once, or repeated.
- New justify text alignment.
- New "Smart text" properties: Automatic fit, Ping-pong, Headline and Automatic Scroll.
- Possibility to enter directly the position and the size of the media / text layer.
- Added the possibility to control the alignment of the media inside its frame / layer in the Preview panel.
- Added option to slice a media (cut some borders of the media) to fit the layer area.
- Renamed the "Tag for accounting" to "Proof of play".
- Added many formatting options, such as mat color, padding, rounded corners and effects. See [Layer_Properties#Tutorial|Apply formatting tutorial].
- Management of the effects has been simplified. The effect can now be directly controlled from the Layer properties dialog. There are 3 tabs controlling effects:
- In effect: applied when a media / text layer begins.
- Highlight: applied while the media / text layer is shown.
- Out effect: applied when the media / text layer ends. Note that for this effect to be shown, the media must have a duration set.
- Added the possibility to fade in and out of the audio.
- Simplified the views by removing the "Year" view of the Schedule and added a zoom option for the "Day" view .
- Added icon on top of the Schedule view to easily move to the next day / week / month depending on the selected view.
- Added a dialog to control scheduled media.
- Making it simple to add simple recurrence rules (daily playback for instance).
- The Playlist is created in a new folder and have dedicated configuration dialog.
- New option to shuffle (randomize) the order of playing each time the playlist document is opened.
- The Playlist is based on jSignage and offers many new transition effects.
- If no document is opened in the Preview panel, double-click on the Playlist folder will automatically display the playlist content in the preview.
- When the Playlist is used inside synchronized content and not all the medias have a fixed duration and the playlist is set to loop, a warning is shown to the user since the playlist cannot be synchronized.
- Device status is only shown for devices automatically discovered. For device added manually the status is not shown anymore.
- When double-click on a device, the device content is automatically shown in the 'current project' tab. The device content is read-only for Elementi S users. Elementi S users must use the Publish button to modify the device content.
- To Publish a Project simply click on the publish button. A new dialog allows the user to select the target device(s) of the publish action.
- It is possible to publish to one or more HMP devices, to a collection of HMP devices, to an USB drive or to a web server.
- The notion of Publish Location has been added, to simplify the use of the Pull Mode.
- Elementi Widgets Library replaces the HMD Templates.
- Added the support for locale. See for instance Date time widget and formating feed text.
- Highly improved and simplified feed widgets and interactivity widgets.
- Support for line feed/end when displaying the content of an ICS data feed using the ICS feed widgets.
- The feeds widgets are not using the cache anymore. See Adding caching instructions if caching is required.
- The switch.svg helper is no longer available. See Using a switch to see how to do the same functionality using a custom parser. Also see Switching on global variable if you need to display different content depending on the serial number or multiscreen id of the player.
- The date_time.svg helper is no longer available. It has been replaced by the usage of locale (see Date time widget and formating feed text).
- Only CSV, ICS and RSS data types are available for Elementi S and Elementi M users. Elementi X users have access to the full set of available parsers.
- The menu_media.svg template has been replaced by some simplified widgets, each dedicated to a specialized task. Also see Interactive playlist widgets in case you need to mix playlist functionality with interactivity.