Devices (Elementi GUI)
From SpinetiX Support Wiki
"Devices" is one of the tabs present within the Browse panel of Elementi, having as main purpose the management and monitoring of the HMP devices that are present within the same local network (i.e. LAN) as the PC running Elementi.
Elementi automatically discovers the HMP devices by querying the Bonjour service running on that PC to get the list of available devices. Then it compares the results with its internal list, updates the status of the existing HMPs and adds the newly discovered ones. Elementi does not perform any scanning itself - for more details, see the Device discovery page.
If Elementi cannot discover devices (see #Troubleshooting), then you can manually add an HMP device into Elementi.
Devices listing views
There are two listing views to choose from: "Icon View" and "List View". You can switch between then using the right-click menu.
This is the default view and lists the devices using large icons and the device name underneath them.
- For HMP devices, the large icon contains the HMP type (model), its generic picture and the HMP status icon.
- For Publish Locations, a generic drive icon is used.
- For collections, a generic folder icon is used.
- For removable devices, an USB key icon is used.
This is a traditional list view and can be used to see more information about the listed devices. Also it can be used for setting different sorting orders. The following columns are present:
|Name||A small icon (for HMP devices is the status icon), followed by the device name.|
|Type||Type of device such as HMP130, HMP200 or Server (for #Publish Location).|
|Serial number||Serial number of the HMP device; empty for servers.|
|Firmware version||Version of the firmware. This information is only available for automatically discovered devices.|
|IP Address||IP or link-local hostname for automatically discovered device.|
HMP status icon
|Green tick||Device has been auto-discovered by Elementi and is available.|
|Blue settings wheel||Device has not been configured yet.|
|Red cross (X)||Device has previously been discovered, but is not currently accessible.|
|Orange exclamation mark (!)||Device is in Safe mode.|
|Orange cross (X)||Device is in Recovery mode.|
|No icon||Device was manually added, but has never been discovered by Bonjour.|
- Elementi uses the device names as configured on the HMP using Control Center.
- In some network configurations, it may be necessary to add devices manually using the device serial number. In this case the device name is automatically updated by Elementi when the device is detected using the Bonjour protocol. If the HMP is never discovered by Bonjour, then you may want to rename it manually in Elementi (you can ignore the warning and proceed with renaming the device).
Opening a device
To open a device into Elementi, simply double-click on the device icon / row. Alternatively, you can select the device and either press the "Enter" key (or Ctrl+O combination) or right-click and choose "Open Selected". Once opened, the content present on the device will be displayed within the Browse panel and the WebDAV properties of the device within the Edit panel.
- For Elementi S users, the project present on the HMP is opened as read-only. With Elementi M and X, the content is not protected for direct modifications, nevertheless, it is strongly recommended to use the publishing feature of Elementi (instead of uploading content directly on the HMP).
To open the HMP Control Center, right-click on the HMP device and select the "HMP Control Center" option.
To ease up the management of devices, Elementi allows grouping the devices into collections (in the same manner as grouping resources). A collection can contain devices, publish locations or other collections.
To create a new collection, right-click inside the "Devices" view, select "New Collection..." and enter the desired name.
A device can either be copied or moved (cut) into a collection and the same device can be present in multiple collections.
Adding a device manually
To add an HMP device manually, follow these steps:
- Open the Devices view.
- Using the right-click menu, select New Device....
- Enter the HMP serial number, the HMP IP address (v4) and select the HMP model.
- The access to the HMP content is normally password protected, in which case you need to:
- Enable the "Security" option.
- Enter an username with content access rights - this is usually either "admin" or "content"; on HMP300 and HMP350 devices, you can also add other users with content authoring rights.
- Enter the password which corresponds to that user.
- For enhanced security, you can enable the use of HTTPS protocol - see the technical note below for more details. Added in Elementi 2017 for HMP300 and HMP350 devices.
- See the "Security" page for more details.
- Click the OK button to add the new HMP device.
Export & import devices
The list of devices and / or collections present under the "Devices" view can be copied to another machine using the export - import mechanism.
To export devices:
- Switch to the Devices view.
- Select the devices and/or collections to be exported.
- Note that automatically-discovered HMP devices present in the root of Devices view cannot be exported. If such devices are selected for export, an warning dialog box will appear with the text Dynamic devices cannot be exported. To be able to export these devices, you need to add them into a collection.
- Using the right-click menu, select Export.
- Select the location to save the generated XML file.
To import devices:
- Switch to the Devices view.
- Drag and drop the XML file from Explorer.
- The devices included in the XML file are added to Elementi. Note that this procedure will only add devices and not remove already-configured devices.
Note: Username and passwords needed to access the HMP are not saved as part of the export file. The passwords must be entered again on the new Elementi installation.
See the full article for more details.
- If no devices are discovered, check that the Bonjour service is installed and started. If it is not, reinstall the latest version of Elementi (make sure to allow installing the Apple softwares at when the Elementi installer ends). The current version of Bonjour installed with Elementi is 22.214.171.124 (you can check this by opening Control Panel > Programs) - this version is not available for direct download, however installing iTunes will install Bonjour 3.0 as well.
- Bonjour is using multicast DNS packets that usually get lower priority or discarded on crowded WiFi networks, thus devices might not be discovered in such cases.
- If you cannot see more than 10 devices in Elementi, you are probably running Elementi S - you need Elementi M or Elementi X to see all the HMPs within your network.
- If you can see a device appearing automatically but you cannot publish to it, check the Proxy settings.